Wednesday, January 8, 2014

                                       Give them a Chance


Corruption is one of the hottest topic in our country right now and I have seen very harsh reactions towards it.But are we as a nation so moralistic, so as to condemn our politicians and bureaucrats to that severe extent. Wouldn't we like to just get off a parking or violation by just paying 50 illegally rather than paying a legal fine of 100?Would we not like to call an uncle working in the railways to book tickets for us in “Emergency” quota when we fail to obtain tatkal ticket? I think you understand what I'm saying and I'm probably very wrong to compare such small corrupt activities with huge scandals. Also  I should also agree to the fact that following rules might be tough in our country especially while watching others get away with small things, either by calling his uncle or dad.

But the fact remains that we as humans have hard time resisting our needs even if accomplished by immoral/illegal practices especially in an environment where people are aspiring to come into public services, not “only” because they want to serve but also because it provides them with an opportunity to earn money. Here I emphasize “only” because, I believe, that our politicians and bureaucrats want to serve our country but that was not enough reason for them not to commit corrupt practices. This for me, ideologically, seems same as our reason to get an emergency quota ticket, but of course the magnitude is much bigger.

So I would like to convey to my fellow Indians one thing, please don’t get carried away by your anger and disgust over large scale corrupt. We are right to be angry but shouldn't our bureaucrats, who by the way might have served our country, get a second chance. May be they would like another chance, may be some would come forward with the corrupt wealth acquired, if given some sort of pardon for what they have committed in the past, a past which was so dominated and perhaps possible only to live by corruption. May be they would like to start a new chapter in our newly emerging "tough on corruption" country and in the process we could also avail their very valuable service.

I just would like to conclude that yes, fear might be a deterrent but not the solution. Let’s show them that we are willing to understand their perspective if they wish to start a new life. Let’s prove ourselves to be not just tough but kind and just. Let’s not in our quest for a corruption free country forget the morality that we need to forge in us and our future generation, not just to tackle corruption but numerical more issues. Let’s be ready to forgive their past and make them a part of quest. A  stronger lokpal is not the only thing we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment